Thursday, August 18, 2011

THE SCHOOL SYSTEM AND A REBELLIOUS STUDENT

It's funny to remember how rebellious I was back then during Junior High. And actually, I do not have any regrets or guiltiness at all. I'm proud of myself for this.

I skipped class very often because I was wasting my time learning about something that I will not use in the future. I drew on the toilet's wall as a personal protest to school's lack-of-creativity system; teachers were mad at me because I always sketch something while they explained the subjects in such boring way. I would sleep in class due to lack of sleep time because there were too many homeworks given, not caring about teachers' complains to me.

I was like the 'black bandit' for the teachers of my old school. Only a few of them understand the reasons for my deeds; and the rest of them were just give me that 'bad' looks. I heard from a teacher who was in my side that, the other teachers believed I would have lower grades than any other students due to the behavior. I went home frustrated, having no idea about why teachers hated me that much. I believe, drawing in class or skipping class are not a wrong behavior. I actually have the right to do that. Teachers often said, if we don't want to learn, we should get out from the class. So I did. But then, I was driving them nuts.

But then, what happened?

I ranked 5 in class, got many As or Bs on the report card even tho I never really care about scores and I'm not a diligent person, and my kindest teacher asked me if I can draw something special for her. As my tribute for her kindness and loving nature, I drew as perfect as possible, and the next day after I gave the drawing, she opened her folder and show the drawing I made for her in front of the teachers. "Look! The 'Black Bandit' made me this! I guess you have no reason to called her the 'Black Bandit' anymore."

I smiled every time I remembered those dark yet fun days. Because of my rebellious behaviors, teachers always recognized me very well each time I came back to school as an alumni. And yet, I did not change. I am still a rebellious soul, skipping class at 2nd semester during 10th grade, and I will keep being a rebel until the system changes. And yes, until they allow me to draw in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment