Saturday, November 24, 2012

A MATTER OF AGE

I am a 17-year-old girl, and for most girls at this age, especially in my country, seventeen is a special number of age. Most girls celebrate their sweet seventeen with once-in-a-lifetime party, setting their dress codes and birthday theme, inviting their beloved ones and their favorite celebrities (if possible), ordering the most wonderful dream birthday cake, etc etc etc. Also, seventeen is a 'legal age' in here, meaning that seventeen-year-old teens have the right to drive and also to vote. The funny thing is I never even wish to celebrate my birthday in such way because I didn't find my sweet seventeen birthday special, and I don't have a driver's license yet because I don't want to. I'm not saying that sweet seventeen celebration is a bad thing, in fact I always accept my friends' birthday party invitation whenever I can. As for the driver's license, well for those who don't know, my city's streets are rough and wild so anything can happen there! 

When I had my sweet seventeen birthday, the first thing that came into my mind as I start the day is "Why do I have to grow up this quickly?" and so I went throughout the day like nothing happened despite all of the beautiful birthday greetings from people. Aside from many frustrating challenges, I love being a teen, and although seventeen is also a young age I can't deny the fact that I'm getting closer to 20s! I know this sounds silly considering that I'm still far from that age, but as I grow older I have to make some important decisions that would change my life in many ways, of course. This makes me think about something: I'd even like to be a kid again if possible. I kinda miss playing with my lego collections, running Putt-Putt or Pajama Sam on my 90s computer, blowing bubbles on the third floor of my old apartment, molding my playdoh, rolling myself downhill and coming home with dirts all over my body (mom was annoyed by this),  playing hide and seek with friends, creating imaginary friends along with their fairytale-like world with my childhood best buddy, and so on. Ah, memories...

Anyway, most would guess the reasons behind all of this so easily. First of all, you can be as crazy as possible without people judging you! Second, you can have and choose so many exciting opportunities that may change your life. Thirdly, you don't have to think about so many responsibilities and such like most adults do! Also, you can either be careless on dramas, or sitting there enjoying them (or be a part of them, although I do not recommend that). 

But no matter how hard my heart desires to stay being adolescent, who am I to stop the process of growing? This is how nature works, right? And everyone, no matter how rich or important or strong or smart they are, couldn't deny this fact. We all just have to face it, and enjoy everything that comes in our way. 

Come to think of it, it would be kinda creepy if there are no adults in our world when everyone just wanted to stay young forever. Just think about it. Uncontrollable madness everywhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment