Monday, February 7, 2011

THE WONDERFUL NATURE CHILD; SABINE KUEGLER



Some of you may recognize her. Sabine Kuegler, also known as the Jungle Child, is a German which spend her childhood in Papua with all of her family. I don't really know the rest of her story, but she was free in the forests and wide open sky, taught the Papuanese about how to laugh, since most of them are shocked by the cultural traditions of Papua. Unfortunately, Sabine and her family must return to German, and she is surviving the wild city life ever since.

I found many similarities with Sabine. I too spend my childhood in Papua. It is such a wonderful place, perhaps a piece of fairyland fell into the earth. I see forests everywhere, and precious twinkling stars in the night. I breath healthy air and I explore many parts of the mother nature, along with my school friends. We are free to travel the forest, the waterfalls, the giant rock, anywhere we want to go.

Unfortunately, we are not allowed to stay in Papua for the rest of our lives; in order to continue our education, we must survive in another place outside of our small town in Papua. so me and my friends moved to different cities, and faith has taken me to Jakarta. Now, I have to survive the city life which I personally dislike. And even if I dislike the metropolitan wild life, I have to face it. Perhaps, for the rest of my high school life.

Reading Sabine's experiences make me feel that I'm truly not alone at feeling this way. And as she said that she's now enjoying the city life, even tho she misses Papua so much, I had to try enjoying my life in here. both Papua and Jakarta have their own plus and minus. And I have to deal with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment