Friday, October 26, 2012

FACULTY OF MEDICINE



"I SOLEMNLY PLEDGE to consecrate my life to the service of humanity;

I WILL GIVE to my teachers the respect and gratitude that is their due;

I WILL PRACTICE my profession with conscience and dignity;

THE HEALTH OF MY PATIENT will be my first consideration;

I WILL RESPECT the secrets that are confided in me, even after the patient has died;

I WILL MAINTAIN by all the means in my power, the honour and the noble traditions of the medical profession;

MY COLLEAGUES will be my sisters and brothers;
I WILL NOT PERMIT considerations of age, disease or disability, creed, ethnic origin, gender, nationality, political affiliation, race, sexual orientation, social standing or any other factor to intervene between my duty and my patient;
I WILL MAINTAIN the utmost respect for human life;
I WILL NOT USE my medical knowledge to violate human rights and civil liberties, even under threat;
I MAKE THESE PROMISES solemnly, freely and upon my honour." - Declaration of Geneva



For now on, I have to wait for the moment where I can finally have the legal permission to read this declaration with all my heart. 

I've made my final decision for my future, indeed. I want to use my knowledge for humanity, for the sake of a better, peaceful world, where everyone could experience welfare. 

I've been a science student for approximately 2 years (specifically, physics student), not knowing what I would be in the future. People would say I should seek for faculties that can offer me careers with good fortune, such as petroleum engineering, electronics engineering, etc. But none of these interested me. I'm not looking for a fortune-guaranteed careers and a fancy life. None of these matter for me because I believe in the concept of good karma: when you do good, when you love and help others, good things will automatically come to you as a reward. I only wanted to learn and feel happy at the same time. And maximum happiness will be felt if I'm able to help others.

(Now I'm not saying that fortune-guaranteed careers are bad. If people with such career(s) could use their knowledge properly, paying attention to any possible effects they could give to nature as well as humanity, they will find a way to participate in making the world a better place, either.)

In all my life I've been disturbed with the fact that life on the earth, not to mention in my own country, is still surrounded with unfairness. The unfortunate lose their life just because they couldn't afford for anything that can give them welfare. This feeling got more intense when I did my internship in a hospital located on a remote area, where I saw kids that are unaware of hazardous chemicals on the hospital, people that are unaware of their own hygiene, etc. Most people that had to stay at the hospital were ill because they do not understand how dangerous things around their environment could be. This is ironic for me, knowing that we live in the high-tech era, where everyone is expected to know things better. 

From that day, I always tell myself to use my knowledge for others in need. I don't want to waste my life dreaming about it without doing anything. I don't want to accept challenges and struggle in college just for my own future.

However, there seems to be a blockage when I could finally make my decision. Many people told me that as I enter the Faculty of Medicine, I would 'lose' life, not being able to socialize with others, having to do 5 tests sometimes in one of the weekdays, having to deal with stress, etc etc etc. Well, you know what? I don't even mind. All students have to sacrifice something as they enter the college world. And 'not being able to socialize with others' sounds silly. 

I just hope that the universe would bend in my favor. I want to make everyone's life better, really. 

No comments:

Post a Comment